Monday 16 June 2014

Getting Serious With Tomatoes

The past few weeks have been pretty weird. Firstly, I must admit that for the second year running, I (or rather the slugs) have totally demolished my vegetable patch, leaving nothing but a few stalks. The major lesson learnt from this has been to invest in some good quality protection for my crop next year, otherwise I am doing all this work in vain.

On a happier note, my windowsill plants are progressing well. The stalks are big and strong and I have managed to acclimatise them to the outside temperature and they now sit on my garden wall. Hopefully the slugs wont eat them either!

Now, the exciting bit. Contrary to this blog's name, I have finally decided to invest in 3 tomato plants, which means of course buying a grow bag, wooden canes, and other materials to protect them. I have bought a variety called "Gardeners Delight" named because they are relatively easy to grow and suitable for beginners like me.


As instructed by my gardening books, I have positioned them on a south-facing side to gain maximum exposure to this lovely sun we are enjoying in the UK. Apparently, all I have to do now is to water them once a week and pull off any new shoots growing to ensure that all the nutrients absorbed go to the fruit and not the leaves. Which is lucky as I plan to eat them not admire them! Ha.

Thanks for reading and if you have ever grown tomatoes or have any tips, then please leave a comment either here or our new Facebook Page

Happy growing!
Sherwin

No comments:

Post a Comment